Untreated hypothyroidism can cause:
- development of atherosclerosis as a result of the increased amount of lipids in the blood, and thus cardiovascular disease,
- depression, anxiety disorders,
- irregular menstrual cycles,
- recurrent miscarriages,
- neurological disorders,
- developmental disorders in a child,
- hypothermic coma , which is a life-threatening condition; manifested by a drop in body temperature below 35 ° C, slowing down the heart rate, slowing down breathing and drowsiness progressing to coma.
It is also crucial to remember that untreated hypothyroidism makes it very difficult to function on a daily basis due to difficulty with focus, forgetting about more and less important things, or chronic tiredness. As a result, the disease can have a major impact on one's quality of life.